MARION — The McDowell County Bar Association and the McDowell County community are holding a special presentation and dedication of a plaque honoring five members of North Carolina’s appellate courts who are from McDowell County. This event is part of the county’s 175th anniversary celebration.
The public is invited to attend the dedication and presentation of a plaque honoring the following members of North Carolina’s appellate courts:
- Former Chief Justice John W. Winborne, Supreme Court of North Carolina, 1937-1962
- Former Associate Justice James William Pless Jr., Supreme Court of North Carolina, 1966-1968, North Carolina Superior Court, 1934-1966
- Former Judge Richard C. Erwin, North Carolina Court of Appeals, 1977-1980; United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, 1980-2006
- Chief Judge Linda M. McGee, North Carolina Court of Appeals, 1995-Present
- Former Judge Robert C. Hunter, North Carolina Court of Appeals, 1998-2014
Attendees will include past and present judicial officials, local officials, lawyers and students. The media and general public are welcome to attend. Speakers include in the order of appearance:
- Judge Alan Thornburg, Senior Resident Superior Court Judge, Judicial District 28
- David Walker, Chairman of the McDowell County Board of Commissioners
- Charles R. Abernathy, Anniversary Chairman of McDowell County’s 175th Anniversary Celebration
- Judge Randy Poole, Chief District Court Judge, Judicial District 29A
- Tiffany Morgan, President of the McDowell County Bar Association
- Justice Sam J. Ervin IV, Associate Justice, Supreme Court of North Carolina
- Chief Judge Linda M. McGee, North Carolina Court of Appeals
- Judge Robert C. Hunter, North Carolina Court of Appeals (Retired)
Tuesday, September 25 at 12:00 p.m. in the courtroom of the McDowell County Courthouse. North Carolina Court of Appeals Chief Judge Linda M. McGee will be available for interviews after the ceremony.
McDowell County Courthouse, 21 S Main St, Marion, NC 28752
Please visit NCcourts.gov for more information. To request a speaker to discuss the role and importance of the Judicial Branch and court system at your next event, please visit Celebrate.NCcourts.org or email events@NCcourts.org.